[bmw] New member with simple question

Hi folks,
I'm new to the list! I've been working on cars for years now (also own a '71
Travelall, '65 Buick, and '66 Chevy truck) but in the last five years, I've
gotten in to old BMW's. My first was an '84 533i (awesome car, lots of fun to
drive) but I sold it after I bought a super clean, perfect black '85 635 CSI
(with 160k on it) Its been a joy to work on and is super fun to drive (even
though its an automatic, which makes it better for commuting around the
congested bay area).

Anyway.. my first rocket scientist question. My battery went dead, and my
stereo is now requesting the code. I thought ( from memory of the booklet
which I left in the 533i which I sold) is that, to enter the code, I use the
buttons along the bottom of the stereo. i.e., if my code is 13245.. then I
simply push the first button once (to set the first digit), the second button
three times (to set the second digit). etc.

The problem though, is that when I push the first button, nothing happens to
the code screen (no change, no noise, no nothing).. when I push other buttons,
the radio beeps at me, but the code screen does not change..

So.. there we are.. if anyone can remind me of the proper way to enter factory
stereo codes, that would be great.

Thanks in advance!

Barton Clark, M.Eng.
Chemistry and Integrated Science