Re: [bmw] Silly oil change questions

Ed,
Its better to buy the BMW oil filter, they r pretty cheap when u pick them up online. If you are using oil like Mobil1, I normally change my oil at 6K intervals and the filter at 3K intervals(basically change filter at half way point to oil change).
hth,
Rahul.

Ed Mathews <Ed@domain.elided> wrote:
Hi,
I've owned my '95 325i for about 1 year an a half now, and have
decided it's time I start to do some of the maintenance myself. I'm not
a Saturday mechanic, but I've done normal maintenance on all of my cars
and I'm well capable - once I understand it.
I changed the oil for the first time myself yesterday. I found it
to be a pretty easy process on this car, but this is the first
experience I have with a car that has a replaceable filter element, as
opposed to replacing the entire filter. I bought a Purolator filter
element from Pep Boys. I noticed when I replaced it that the element
that was in it (Fram) had a metal outer shell, whereas the one I used
had a paper outer shell. Is this going to be a problem with the paper
breaking down and contaminating the oil soon? Also, the kit had a two
new rubber O-rings, and then two small steel washers also (much smaller
than the drain plug washer). I could see where the rubber O-rings went
on the rod and housing, but I saw no place to put these steel washers.
Did I miss them or ddo you think they were for some other model car?

Thanks,
Ed