[bmw] Re: What connection is this? (for X5)

Bill asks

--------
 <http://www.my-searchengine.net/_bmw/connection.gif>
http://www.my-searchengine.net/_bmw/connection.gif

(See above link) Does anyone know what purpose this connection serves? I was
changing the oil last night (first time on recently purchased '02 3.0i X5)
and noticed this connection on the RIGHT FRONT wheel (there didn't appear to
be a corresponding connection on LEFT).

I ask because what you cannot see are that the wires going to/from it do not
connect to anything -- they are hanging loose and "appear" to have been cut.

Bill

-----

Bill I assume you have Xenon HID headlights. If so that is for the sensor on
the front suspension - there is also one on the same side at the rear.

Those 2 sensors are used by the headlight auto levelling system to keep your
headlights at the proper level - adjusting for things like changes in
vehicle loading, and also acceleration and braking.

With the wiring broken then your headlight adjusting system will not be
functioning and it may have caused your headlights to aim too far up, or
down.

Get the wiring reconnected, have the headlights properly adjusted (manually)
then the system will function again and give you adequate lighting in the
distance without blinding oncoming drivers.

Cheers

Jim Cash