[bmw] <E34> Air Flow Meter

I have just had my injectors (1990 E34 525i, 199,000 kms) taken out and
cleaned.  A ***significant*** difference to the performance, but not sure
about the fuel economy yet.  For the next step I am contemplating, I
understand that some people advise recalibrating the AFM as "L-Jetronics
tend to lean off over time".  Is this supposed to be due to air leaks
increasing?

Is this so?  Wouldn't the O2 sensor compensate for any leaning off?  For
instance, the flow from my injectors apparently increased from 30 - 32
whatevers to 38 whatevers just by cleaning them.  +18%??  Logic tells me
that if it wasn't for the system doing its thing, the motor probably
wouldn't have run very well at all either before or after the clean.  Huh?
Can someone please help me understand this concept?

Secondly, supposing that the mixture does lean off over time, how many
clicks of the potentiometer calibrator is likely to be a good starting point
to detension the spring? (Assuming it looks the same inside as the Jaguar
item, which I am familiar with)  How do you know when the mixture is right
without the proper guages?  And how do you get the plastic cap off the AFM
potentiometer box without tears?

Any help/comments appreciated.

Chris Northover

---