  From: Tom Borden [mailto:te.borden@domain.elided]
  Sent: Thursday, November 06, 2003 11:11 PM
  To: dykaar@domain.elided
  Subject: heater valve

  I bought a replacement valve for $80+ from dealer and installed myself.
THEN, and only then, did I do what one Digester had first suggested: Soaked
old heater valve in CLR (removes hard mineral deposits from water -- works
great on shower heads too!).  My, but the original valve looked great
thereafter (though rubber washer at bottom may be suspect).  But since I
already had the new part, I did not bother going back in to test refurb'd
old one.

  I'd try this latter route first if you want to see if you extend effective
life of existing part.  But it is a pain to access heater valve box, so you
may just want to replace with new part.

  Whichever route you take, you might want to note the order of the two free
metal washers on the part when you remove it.  It seems as though my
interior heat lingers when I don't want it to and while this may be result
of my control knob, it may also be that I put the wavy washer above the flat
one when it should be vice versa, or the other way around.

  Happy motoring!

  Tom Borden
  1988 528e

  THOMAS BORDEN  |  CONSULTANT | MEDIA & MARKETING COMMUNICATIONS
  23 ESSEX ROAD, ESSEX FELLS, NJ   07021 | ph/fax: 973.228.5092  |
te.borden@domain.elided