Re: [bmw] where's the 535I headlight relay

Oops!  Phone # for Strictly German is 706-654-9103

Gerry A. Phillips
 '89 535i
'87 328is

----- Forwarded by Gerry Phillips/Lanier-US on 11/04/2003 03:03 PM -----

Gerry Phillips
11/04/2003 03:00 PM

        To:     PeterSchop@domain.elided
        cc:     bmw-digest@domain.elided, owner-bmw@domain.elided
        Subject:        Re: [bmw] where's the 535I headlight relay

Peter,

Sounds like your light control module is bad.  This is a common problem
for E34's.   Over time, vibrations cause cracks of the joints on the
circuit board.  Sometimes re-soldering the joints fixes the problem if you
have access to a good 25+ watt electronic soldering iron.  When mine went
out last year, a friend and I tried to re-solder, but were unsuccessful.
Do a search on e34.net for an explanation of the procedure.  If it turns
out you need a new one, stay away from the dealer.  They'll rob you for
almost $400.00.  I ended up buying one from Strictly German in Braselton,
GA for around $100.00.   Ask for the owner,  Bobby Thrash.  He'll take
care of you.

Gerry A. Phillips

PeterSchop@domain.elided
Sent by: owner-bmw@domain.elided