[bmw] <E30> '91 318is clock jitterbug

The clock in my 1991 318is periodically goes into "jitterbug"
mode, where the segments flash seemingly at random.  I've found
that by pressing on the center of the clock I can get it to
display properly again, at least until the next bump.  It never
forgets the time, just doesn't display correctly.

I assume there are some dirty contacts, but how do I remove the
clock?  Being the bottom of the line, a lowly 4-banger, there is
of course no OBC, just this minimally functional clock/calendar/
outdoor thermometer.

TIA

Steve