[bmw] Troubleshooting E36 Fuel delivery prob.

Hello All,

I'm troubleshooting a problem with my '94 318is (67k orig miles), and wondering if anyone has some add'l insight.

In sum:
1. When the battery is hooked up, whether the key is inserted and turned on or not, the fuel pump is dumping fuel into the engine (that is, pumping when it shouldn't be). Consequently the car won't start for flooding.
2. When the the fuel pump relay is powered directly, behind the ECM relay, the fuel pump seems to work correctly.

My thoughts are that either
1. The ECM has a fault.
2. Somehow the fuel pump relay and ECM relay got switched up or have the wrong parts in place.
3. There is some other problem that may be present due to water having possibly gotten into some other control module when it rained heavy recently.

To test this I have a available a '96 328i and a 92 318i Sedan...first off, can anyone give me some guidance on whether either of these two might use the same ECM, such that I could swap in and test?

Secondly, can anyone give some guidance as to how exactly to determine whether the correct relays are installed in the correct locations? My Bentley book doesn't seem to indicate relays by part number or curcuit description (or else I'm just looking in the wrong place).

I'm also open to any other suggestions.

Thanks all.

Drew