Re: [bmw] oil change

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003, T S Perez wrote:

> The dealer where my son bought his car REFUSED to change the oil
> until the light bar indicated so.  It was about 13,000 miles and
> about 18 months on the brand new engine.  I hated to see that.  I
> fail to see where there is any advantage to this.  If not the
> miles, what about 18 months or blowby , acid, and other junk that
> builds up in the oil.

 The advantage is not using more oil than is needed to do the job.
Motors today run very clean inside, much moreso than the motors of
yore.  This is of course the holiest of internet religious wars, so I
won't contribute any further than to merely start another battle and
then sit back and watch the fun.  Acids and other blowby junk do
pollute the oil, but the oil has antacid built in to counteract them.
If you're really curious whether or not your oil is worn out after 6,
9, 13 thousand, have a sample analyzed.  Check the total base number
(TBN) as compared to the new oil specs.  That and a change in
viscosity will tell you much much more than simple gut feeling coupled
with fond memories of your dad changing the oil in his '63 Chevy every
3000 miles and pouring the black goo into a hole in the back yard.

--
 "It is an honor to be Cookie Monster."
   -Sesame Street spokeswoman Audrey Shapiro