Headlamp Problem

I had an unusual occurrence the other day when I stopped to gas-up my 1986 535i. I pulled in, turned off the lights and the engine and filled up. When I fired her back up to pull away the Low Beam Trouble Indicator light was on. I got home and sure enough, the left low beam was out. I replaced the fuse (even though it looked ok), and the problem remained. I replaced the lamp the next day, but still no light and the trouble indicator stayed on. The right low beam works, and both sides (all four) work when in high beam.

I broke out my MultiTester and checked the wiring and got these results: Continuity in all headlamp wires; good ground. Yellow/Gray (mine actually looks yellow/red) wire =11.99V; White/Violet wire =0.04V. 11.99V on both sides of fuse when key on and headlamp switch on.

From this I surmised that there is no voltage going from the fusebox to the lamp along the White/Violet wire, even though there is Continuity in that wire. I took a piece of wire and jumped from the downstream side of the fuse directly to the headlamp, and it lit up. But, the Trouble Indicator light stays on, and a fairly loud buzzing is heard when the jumper wire is employed. This should be a fairly simple fix, but I am stymied; any suggestions?

Thanks.

Chris

1986 535i