1997 5 Series Air Conditioning

Hi everyone - my A/C has stopped spitting out cold air.  Now, I know of a
BMW mechanic who does work from home - he is supposed to be very good, but I
fear he might work to the motto of "Replace things 'till the problem goes
away".  I called him up and he asked me a few questions, simple diagnostic
stuff, without having seen the car.  I happened to mention that the front,
aux. fan didn't come on when the A/C button was pressed and he immediately
said that that would need replaced before he could go any further, at a cost
of 240 GBP (370 dollars) plus labor.

Now, IF the fan is broken then I have no bother replacing it, in fact I
would happily do it myself.  But I don't believe it is, and even if it is it
still doesn't explain the sudden lack of cold air on my car.  So what I need
to know is this:
When the AC on a 5 series (current, soon to be replaced model (what this the
number for it anyway E???) ) is on, does that auxiliary fan absolutely
always run ?  On my old E28 it was the case that that fan always ran when
additional air flow was required to reduce the temp of the radiator, or the
A/C was on, but I am not sure about the newer model car and am not about to
have some guy talk me round to this so easily.

Damian Horner
1997 520i Touring
Belfast, N. Ireland.