E36 M3 diff ratio ?s

Someone ask me the other day what differentials would work on a '99 M3. I'm not even sure what the stock one is much less what's available or compatible. What ratios and what cars would he look to for a compatible lower geared diff? He ask if there was a 3.73 available, is there and what car(s) would be a donor? If not a 3.73 how close to that and what would the cost for a low mileage good diff be? What should he expect to pay to have it installed? Is the stock M3 diff worth anything as a trade or just an upgrade for another car?

TIA

Evan