e12/e28 tranny questions

I have a 1979 e12 with a used 5-speed ostensibly from an e28 (that I had
installed a year or so ago).

some questions:

* what's the correct designation for that 5-speed? from pokin' thru
www.e12.de, it seems it might be a "295" or "296" or something like that?

* 2nd gear is like really crunchin'. supposedly I have BMW synthethic gear oil
in the tranny. I'm intending to try the 20wt non-detergent motor oil trick
that I read about on the bmwcca tech tips page. but if that doesn't work, is
there any problem with getting the tranny overhauled? My straight-forward, not
terribly sophisticated bimmer mechanic shop says that only the factory in
Germany can a overhaul the thing cuz they've never sold the special tooling to
do so (some sort of press) but that just sounds ludicrous to me. Anyone know
the story here?

thanks!

JeffH
http://www.stanford.edu/~hodges/gifs/JeffGorge1.Color.jpg