Re: Constant flooding problem [was Re: E36 M3 Stalled, won't start]

> What I've determined now is that the fuel pump is running whenever the
> battery is *connected*, even if the key isn't in the ignition. I can
> hear it with the rear seat out. My assumption is that I've got a bad
> relay in there, but I've swapped relays around haven't been able to
> track down the problem.
>
> Is there anything besides the main relay near the fusebox that is in
> circuit on the fuel pump, and could be causing this?

I can't believe a constantly runing fuel pump would not drain your battery
overnight (unless you never sleep and drive the car every few hours).
I know some ECU's (GM, for example) may run the pump much longer after the
key is out of the ignition.  Why this happens, I have no clue.  I only
noticed it happening on my dad's GM truck after a few years when the pump
got noisier and you could hear it running outside the vehicle - although it
only runs for about half a minute or so after key out.  Certainly if you
have even a small leak in one or more injectors, your engine could get
flooded.  Then again, I would think the amount of gas in the pressure
regulator would be enough to flood your engine as well, even if the pump was
not running and you had leaky injectors.  Sorry for not being much help, I'm
just speculating that you may be looking in the wrong place for the cause of
your problems.

Martin
'95 318ti