Re: E30 fluid on the drivers side

Hi, Rick.

The fluid is almost certainly brake fluid.  It's coming from
either the clutch master cylinder, the hose leading from the
brake fluid reservoir, or (check this carefully!) a li'l
plastic angled fitting between the hose and the clutch master
cylinder.  Very inexpensive part (like $1.83), but easy to
overlook if your mindset is geared toward the more pricey stuff
once you're in diagnostic mode.  I know whereof I speak: this
little doober on my daughter's car 318i led to replacement of
(deep breath) the brake master cylinder, vacuum booster, one of
the brake calipers (munged the bleeder), the clutch master,
and the clutch slave.

Not one of my better days.  S'what I get for believing the
(UK version) Haynes manual I read that the clutch hydraulic
system had its own reservoir.  And so it does -- on right-
hand-drive cars.

Brake fluid is corrosive, so try to do a pretty good cleanup
around the footwell area.

Best,
Stas