E30 fluid on the drivers side

I partially removed the carpet from the driver's side hoping to discover a spot wear some road water was splashing up into the compartment.  Instead I found, from what I could tell, a structurally sound floorboard but a very damp rubber mat and floor covered in a viscous, almost oily, non-smelly fluid.  The fluid is maybe tinged yellow, but not enough to lead you to believe it is motor oil.  I did not have time to take apart the center console to give my self access to the entire floor.  Any thoughts before I tear apart my interior this coming weekend?

Rick
'89 325ix