E36 M3 Stalled, won't start

Folks:

On my way to work this morning, I got the infamous "brake light circuit
failure" on the OBC in my 1999 M3, as I have so many many times before...
The way I have generally made it go away (don't ask me why this works) is to
cut off the ignition, tap the brake pedal ten or twenty times, and then
restart.  80% of the time, the message does not reappear for a while. (Yes,
I know the switch is a $30 part, but I'm just not willing to go upside down
under the dash again right now).

So, while rolling on a straight and deserted street, I cut the ignition,
tapped the brake several times, and attempted to restart.  She started, but
ran very rough, briefly, and when I hit the throttle, she stalled, and will
not restart.  It sounds as though the engine is firing ok, but immediately
quits.  I attempted maybe ten times to start the car, but to no avail.  She
is now sitting on the curb in my neighborhood, awaiting my return from
work...

What in the world have I done?  Can this possibly be a result of me cutting
power while rolling? If so, how?

Thanks,

Mark

--
    -= Mark Justin Cecil == New Orleans, LA == mjcecil@domain.elided =-
                    -= http://noml.dyndns.org/mark.html =-

           "The truth is the truth, no matter what you *believe*"