re: e30 Chattering Clutch/Driveline Shudder

Scott asks
>At low RPM takeoff (~1k-1.5k RPM) in first, the clutch seems to chatter or
>is "grabby" without engaging smoothly.  This causes the entire driveline
>to shudder.

scott, a very common problem with E30s is exactly like you describe- in fact
I think there was a recall or service bulletin or something at the time..
I've heard it was due to the organic material used in the clutch (instead of
our friend Asbestos)..

a fix which was passed to me on this very digest about 8 years ago :) is the
following
-start off in 4th gear (once)

you will have to slip the clutch like crazy to avoid stalling
you may have to repeat this once more to fix

my car did this whenever it got really hot out.. (hot summer day) in stop&go
traffic.. I've used this 'fix' to get rid of the chatter.. it came back a
couple of years later.. I used it again.. and that's it. Chatter free for
years now.

YMMV etc etc.. but I have 210k+ miles on my original clutch, the car has
been used to teach 3 complete newbies how to drive standard.. and see's it's
share of track and autoX abuse.

chris pawlowicz
'89 325i
'99 z3