Re:E36 towing capacity

re: E36 Towing Capacity:

One my E36 //M3, I have a Da'Lan [call 1-(800) H I T C H E S]
hitch.  It attaches to the trunk floor on the bottom and rear
side of the spare tire well.
I used it to tow a UHaul cross country.
Soon afterwards, I had RTAB failure with only 28k miles on the car.
__No more towing on an E36 for me.

The hitch is great for bike racks.  I have a Hollywood two bike
rack which mounts the bikes across the rear of the car both a
track for the tires, and a separate vertical beam that clamps to
the seatpost.  Thus no part of the frame is touched.

With a hitch rack on an E36, it is __ESSENTIAL (w/caps)
to reinforce the hitch mount with cargo straps.  I hook the
straps on the rail the bike mounts to, and loop the strap over
the two T hooks where the rear seat back latches.  Otherwise you
will damage the trunk floor as it is too weak to hold up to the
angular forces a rack loaded with two bikes prys downward on the
 rack with as you drive.
Happy towing,

'jk