Re: billstein vs boge shocks

Brendon <brendonm@domain.elided> wrote:

> My '96 328i (at 95K miles) is getting new shocks soon.
> I want a smooth ride since this is my daily driver for 90 miles
> roundtrip during the week.  So I'm debating which brand shocks to
> get installed.

Brendon,
'Smooth' is a very relative concept.
Join BMW CCA, go to a local chapter event (preferably autoX or a DE) and
drive in other peoples' modified cars. See what you like. Buy accordingly.

> I'm told Billsteins will last longer but need a custom shock mount
> in the rear (more $).  The Boges will ride smoother though (like stock)

Which Bilstein's?
Which Boge's?
Those, along with just about any other manufacturer's line, feature many
shock models. Most aftermarket shocks are sports oriented and designed to
mate with shorter than stock springs.

Bilstein and Koni's sell for around $550 for all four corners come with
lifetime warranty and will last you about that long.
Boge's are about half that, but will wear out every 60-90K miles. Unless
you are installing the shocks yourself, Bilsteins/Koni's will be cheaper
in the long run.

> ...or is this really the case?
> Any opinions on either shock brand apprecaited.

For E36 application, I would recommend Koni Single Adjustable shocks.
If you want the complete shock/spring package (free labor to install the
latter while you are at it), consider one of TC Kline's offerings:
www.tckline.com

alex f