Re: E36: windshield washer motor replacement

Brendon <brendonm@domain.elided> wrote:

> I get only water dribbling out on my driver-side windshield washer
> on the hood of my '96 328.
> I assume the water pump/motor has gone bad.  Is this easy fix where
> I can unconnect the old and reconnect a new motor/pump?  (I replaced
> a clogged spout on that side before).

Brendon,
Had you waxed your car recently?
Wax buildup on the nozzles is the most common cause of weak washer jets.
Both jets share the common pump. There is one line leading to the hood
where the line separates from a T-fitting. If one side is working while
the other is not, either the jet itself is clogged (poke it with a
needle), the post T-fitting plumbing is loose (if you had worked on that
side before, it may have come off) or the T-fitting itself is going bad
(rare, but not unheard of).

Hope this helps,
alex f