Re: 1998 328i ball joint failure

"Mike Burch" <lord_anthraxx@domain.elided> wrote:

> The suspension in my vehicle fell out of my 98 328I BMW,
> A certified BMW Tech from North America check out the
> vehicle. Basically said my Certified Warranty would not
> cover the vehicle. But the Ball joints were defective
> just broke off,

Mike,
Tell your friend to take have an independent wrench inspect the car (pay
him to come to the dealer lot or have the car towed to an independent
shop).
Steel control arms do not fail. Ball joints will eventually wear, but not
in a non-race car at 59K miles.
However, if the previous or the current owner of the car had jumped a few
curbs or managed to introduce control arms to immovable objects in some
other way, anything is possible. A visual inspection should reveal the
damage.
A dealer would normally be more than happy to work on a CPO car as it is
easy money in their pocket. Only in the cases of obvious severe abuse
would they shoot themselves in the foot and deny BMW CPO coverage.

> this is a manufacturer defect and BMW will not stand behind
> their car.

Don't jump to unsubstantiated conclusions.

> They even said this is something that isn't suppose to
> happen, I only have 59,000 miles on my vehicle.

True statement.

> BMW should stand behind their vehicle, if there are any
> other cases like mine please let me know. I plan on pursuing
> this to the highest level that I can. If you could be of any
> help it would be appreciated.

I would advise your friend to do more thorough homework before wasting his
time and money.

Good luck,
alex f