Re: squeaky E36 clutch pedal

Mine did that.  It was actually the bushing on the main pivot that caused
mine (and many others, from what I read) to creak.

Essentially, I removed the pedal, and took the equivalent of some
medium-fine grit sandpaper, and roughed up the interior and exterior
surfaces of the bushing, as well as the interior of the pivot hole in the
arm itself.  Then I applied heavy synthetic grease to all contacting parts,
and replaced the pedal.  It's been basically silent ever since, which is to
say over two years.  Well, ok, I hear a FAINT creak every once in a long
while.

I posted on this some year and a half ago, but could not Google the article
back from the dead.

I have to note that removing the pedal and replacing it was a real heavy
pain in the ass, and if I could afford it, I'd have had a BMW mechanic do
it.

There are other articles afoot about using a Delrin(tm) Teflon(tm) bushing
in place of the original, such as:

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/drivetrain/e36_remove_clutch_pedal_slop.htm

Mark
'99 ///M3

    -= Mark Justin Cecil == New Orleans, LA == mjcecil@domain.elided =-
                    -= http://noml.dyndns.org/mark.html =-
    -= UNIX/Storage Architecture, Implementation, and Administration =-

           "The truth is the truth, no matter what you *believe*"