squeaky E36 clutch pedal

Folks,
My E36M3 clutch pedal is squeaking every other time I depress it. After
some digging, I think I had traced the source to the plastic piston inside
the metal pedal return spring (right behind the pedal). Otherwise, the
clutch works/engages great. Liberal application of lubes only quiets it
down for a day or two at most. Than the squeaking returns.
I'm about to order a replacement spring/piston assembly and start figuring
out how to swap them out.
Has anyone BTDT?
Any other suggestions?

TIA,