RE: <e28> suspension and springs

Just to add to the confusion, I have an 85 e28 that I put Bilstein sports
and H&R springs on. The rears springs are progressive, and poorly designed.
That means that the progressive part of the spring is collapsed so that the
bottom 4 coils touch. This is different from the Porsche progressive "Cup"
setup on my 944 turbo where the coil spacing is such that the coils don't
touch. The 5 also has frequent rear end bottom out, especially with any dead
weight, er, rear seat passengers.

I expect that these springs were originally speced overly soft to keep boy
racers from oversteering into the woods.

All of these devices, springs, shocks, sway bars, are bolt-on, no cutting or
welding. The only exception is the Dinan sway bars, which require welding
bigger brackets to the frame, or the stockers **will** rip clean off.

I agree with the other poster. Find a BMWCCA member in your area and locate
a decent panzer mechanic. If anybody ever had springs made for this car, I'm
very curious as to what was speced...

-doug

85 535
86 951