Re: need E36 M3 oil recommendations

Peter,

With the VIN for your car you can register on BMW's website for the owner's
circle, and then download the manual.

My preferences would be Mobil 1 15W/50 for the summer, and Mobil 1 0W/40 for
the winter (if you can find it).

For regular use, the BMW synthetic available at the dealer is fine, too,
although at little light at 5W/30 for year-round/aggressive summer use IMHO,
although I do use it in my Z3.

Redline, Mobil 1, Amsoil, etc. all have their proponents, although most
sources would recommend against a straight weight oil in the M3.

HTH,

Martin Bullen
'95 M3
'97 Z3 2.8