need E36 M3 oil recommendations

I just bought a '97 M3 that didn't come with an owners manual and I need
the oil viscisity/type recommendations so I don't mess up the VANOS
functioning with the wrong viscosity oil. An hour on the web didn't turn
up any specifications on this, so if anyone can look into their O.M. and
find out whether BMW recommends that straight weight oil is OK I would
be grateful. I know that mineral based SAE 15-W-40 is acceptable, but
what about straight SAE 30 or 40 weight?
Thanks,
Peter Cain