Re: silicone brake fluid - long response. Pass if you choose.

In a message dated 6/14/2003 3:03:01 PM Central Daylight Time,
khoi@domain.elided writes:

> Rodney<<
>
> I do not understand your logic. Your argument above would seem to suggest
> using Silicone Brake Fluid in a street car. Why is Silicone brake fluid in a
> street car a very bad idea when it does not absorb water. Am I missing
> something??
>
> Khoi
Since silicon brake fluid cannot absorb moisture in the brake lines, the
moisture will pool in the lowest part of the system....  THE BOTTOM OF YOUR
CALIPER!!!  Water is heavier than brake fluid.  It is ever present in your system.
The bleed screw on the caliper is on TOP of the caliper.  It is on top so when
you go to bleed AIR out of the system, the air bubbles RISE to the top.  Air
bubbles tends to do that...  Since the heavier water is pooling in the BOTTOM
of the caliper, it will cause the piston and other parts of the INSIDE of your
caliper to RUST either damaging the rubber seal which keeps brake fluid in
and/or "freezing" the caliper stuck.  You cannot bleed all the water out.  If
anything, you would have to bleed the brakes more if you use silicon.

Let enought water pool in the bottom of your caliper and your braking
performance worsens fast!  Under spirited driving, the water pooling in the bottom of
your caliper will boil causing air bubbles.  The bubbles will compress not
allowing brake pressure to squeeze the calipers.  THE OPPOSITE EFFECT OF WHAT
YOU WANT!  Great performance, short life.  NOT FOR STREET USE.

DOT4 and DOT3 absorbs the "damaging" water.  Eventually the fluid will become
saturated.  All good things must come to an end.  There is always a
compromise and price for something.  We pay more for a BMW for a reason.  We pay less
for a Kia for a reason.  Others pay more for a Porsche for a reason.  More pay
the same for a Lexus for a reason.

Parts for racing aren't necessarily better.  I left my "r" coumpound tires as
long as I could one fall season.  There wasn't enough tread left for any
track sessions - just enough though for some "fun" on the street.  When that first
snow fall hit...  Let's just say it sucks getting stuck in a parking lot that
had both exits uphill and you are wearing leather bottom shoes!

So what is the advantage of Silisone brake fluid?
    It doesn't compress as much as DOT4/3 giving better brake performance and
feel.
    Has a higher boiling point.
    Great for RACINGand RACING BUDGETS!!

Sorry for the long rant.  Someone please correct me if I am in some way
wrong.

Rodney
"How do you make a $Million in racing?  First you start with $10 million
dollars...  "  - Formula 1 Qoute from someone.