From: owner-bmw@domain.elided [mailto:owner-bmw@domain.elided] On Behalf Of
Purvis Brad Civ UAVB/DOI
Sent: 13 June 2003 05:26
To: bmw-digest@domain.elided
Subject: 318 E36 Coolant Loss

All:
Have a friend who has a 94 model 318 with a 5spd and a coolant loss.
Here is what I know: no visible loss of coolant anyplace, not in the
oil, tail pipe or any signs of leaking anyplace. However coolant
continues to be lost from the system. I have not been able to
investigate this myself. I will start investigating this tomorrow but
would like some ideas. I am considering washing the engine as clean as
possible and adding dye to the coolant and using a UV light to see if I
can detect any loss. I don't think the typical head gasket is at issue
as this is a 94 model but who knows. I think running the engine and
getting the system under pressure might be useful as well as using a
pressure tester but I don't know of any that fit this cap. Suggestions
would be helpful here. What should I do? Thanks Brad Purvis