RE: 85/535i - Intermittent Starting problems.

I had the very similar problem on my '85 535i.
I would have trouble starting when the engine was hot, would normally push
start OK.  Almost no problem in colder weather (lots of that here in
Canada;-).
It turned out to be 4 semi-related problems:
 - In Tank - Fuel Transfer Pump
	[expensive from BMW but Federal-Mogul / Carter Pump P60293 will fit
with some minor modifications. - about $60.00cdn]

 - Fuel Filter [mine was 15 years / 310,000kms old at the time]

 - Fuel Pressure Regulator
	Yours raises suspicion since there is no change in idle when vacuum
hose disconnected - all three of mine will stall if I disconnect the vacuum
line.

 - 2 rubber 'O' rings on the oil dipstick were old and rigid. Replacing them
significantly improves idle stability. (about $0.10 total)

Hope these suggestions help - all fairly inexpensive for a do-it-yourselfer.

Stuart
'83 528e 600,000kms
'84 528e 160,000kms (Wife's)
'85 535i 375,000kms