318 E36 Coolant Loss

All:
Have a friend who has a 94 model 318 with a 5spd and a coolant loss. Here is
what I know: no visible loss of coolant anyplace, not in the oil, tail pipe
or any signs of leaking anyplace. However coolant continues to be lost from
the system. I have not been able to investigate this myself. I will start
investigating this tomorrow but would like some ideas.
I am considering washing the engine as clean as possible and adding dye to
the coolant and using a UV light to see if I can detect any loss. I don't
think the typical head gasket is at issue as this is a 94 model but who
knows. I think running the engine and getting the system under pressure
might be useful as well as using a pressure tester but I don't know of any
that fit this cap.
Suggestions would be helpful here.
What should I do?
Thanks