Re: Odometer 1987 325ic

Leo,
This is a common failure on e-30's and e-28's.  There are a couple little
nylon gears that strip or crack in the speedo/odo assembly.  You have to pull out
the guage cluster (fairly easy if you are gentle about it, consult bentley
manual first), then disasemble the guage cluster (just a few screws holding the
back of it on) and remove the speedo assembly.  You can even take apart the
speedo yourself and see which gears are at fault, but finding replacements is
tough.  I eventually gave up on finding replacements and took the speedo
assembly to a speedometer/odometer repair place.  Cost me about 100 bucks.  (highway
robbery, I thought, but they have a corner on the market).  You may have to
mail off the speedo if there isn't a place nearby.
The place I took mine to is in Austin,
<A HREF="www.speedometer.com">www.speedometer.com</A>
Let me know if you need more description on how to get out the guage cluster.
Good luck,
Jake
College Station, TX

In a message dated 6/10/03 10:05:56 PM Central Daylight Time, leo nicholson: