Re: Slicone brake fluid

-----Original Message-----
From: John C. Bowne <jbowne@domain.elided>

>I know that the BMW manual calls for replacing the brake fluid every two
>years.  I have assumed that is because regular brake fluid is hygroscopic
>and absorbs water from the air.

Yes.

> Is it possible to replace the regular brake fluid with silicone brake
fluid
> that is not hygroscopic to get longer life?

I haven't heard anyone ask this question in quite a while.  It used
to be a pretty popular question 5 years ago, and that is about as
up to date as I am on the subject.

A quick Google search yielded, among others:

http://www.minimania.com/MM/BRAKES___Silicone_brake_fluid__to_use_or_not_to_
use___that_is_the_question__785.htm

That's a long link that you'll probably have to cut and paste,
but it pretty much sums up what I recall.

In short, using a high quality DOT 4 fluid and getting it
flushed periodically is really the recommended course.
It isn't that expensive to have it done every two years.

> Does BMW approve of this?

I wouldn't be surprised if they specifically recommend
against its use in the user's manual.

Regards,
Mike Kohlbrenner