[alfa] rear brake pressure compensator

Hi Group:

A few weeks ago I discovered that the rear brake pressure compensator on my
'74 Spider had metamorphosed into a solid piece of rust, and I replaced it
with one I had over-nighted from IAP.  Seemingly, I'll never learn, and
received a part that is perhaps questionable.  It's a different design,
although made by Benditalia, and the in/out ports are not marked.  One end
has provisions for a mounting bracket, so I modified the existing bracket
(which was on the inlet side of the original part) and installed it that
way.  I've never had much trouble bleeding Spider brakes, and I'm pretty
darn sure that the system is free of air, but the pedal feels
terrible.  Lots of travel, and very spongy, whereas before, on this Spider
and on my '87, I've always been able to get it very firm.

BTW, the rest of the brake system, in its entirety, is almost-new;
calipers, pads, rotors, MC, hard lines, SS flex hoses, all only have a few
thousand miles (or much less) on them.  The compensator froze suddenly, and
resulted in poor braking, and a pedal that felt like it was bolted to the
frame.

So, I called IAP and asked about the mounting orientation, and while I
wasn't using a video-enabled connection, a blank stare was the response
from my "sales advisor".  Anyone know the answer here, as to which port is
in and which is out?  I certainly can't hang the thing just by the brake
lines using the reverse orientation.  Would installing it backwards result
in a spongy pedal?  According to IAP, this is a part that also fits the V6
transaxle cars, so perhaps that's a clue to its orientation, but I've only
got Spider's to look at.  Any help would be appreciated, before I remove
the part and send it back.  Perhaps I should have taken one of you guys up
on an offer to accept a good used part, and I am considering that, so feel
free to offer again.  Now I'll need a bracket, too, as I had to cut the old
one to fit the new part.  Thanks.

Regards,

Dean W. Cains
dwc@domain.elided