RE: [alfa] clutch replacement questions: alfa spider

Damien,
 Make sure your transmission shaft is tight, the bearing is not broken or worn out too much. Try to move the shaft up/down and around to see if there's any excessive play. If not, look at the pictures on my 3000 miles clutch. My transmission shaft was loose and the bearing was shot. After the bearing was replaced, it's 5000 miles now and still going.
 Yes, you should grease the clutch pilot, don't worry about the alignment pins, as long as they fit the pressure plate correctly with the clutch alignment tool.
 Make sure you tie the throw out bearing lever forward so you don't accidently press the throwout bearing out of the transmission shaft when you try to push the transmission shaft to the clutch when trans & engine mate.
 Make sure you slide the clutch plate in/out the transmission shaft to make sure it can come in/out easily for installation, put some grease there too.
 Don't forget the spring on the throwout bearing lever and make sure it's in correctly.
 If you can, replace the clutch pilot pin.
 If you don't want to bleed the slave cylinder, tape it.
 Make sure the throw out bearing installed correctly and grease it good not to spill all over the clutch.

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ltooz_alfa/album?.dir=/clutch+failure&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ltooz_alfa/my_photos

Good luck,

Louis Le
91 Spider Veloce, runs and runs and still running
96 Audi Wagon 4n4
Fremont, CA

"Damien Gaboury" <dgaboury@domain.elided> wrote:

>Hi all,
>

>I am in the process of replacing the clutch and the pressure plate on my
>spider 1986.
>

>Looking at the old pressure plate, I realized that it was balanced: some
>drilling marks on it. So, should I have the pressure plate - flywheel balanced
>together or the pressure plate came balanced from the factory? Clutch and
>pressure plate are Valeo.
>

>Also, on the original pressure plate, there are three pins that insert within
>the flywheel as guide. On the new unit, there is no pin at all and at present,
>one of the three pins remained on the flywheel during removal of the old
>pressure plate. Should I have to remove all pins from the flywheel or should I
>use it again with the new pressure plate ?
>

>On the other hand, should I use some grease on the clutch bearing pilot ?
>

>Thank in advance for the tips.
>

>Damien
>--

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.