RE: [alfa] R&R cylinders/pistons without pulling the engine (1969 GT coupe) ??

It is possible and I've done it but the question is why? It turned out to be
so much harder and take longer than it does taking the engine out so you can
get to all the fasteners and get the oil pan off without jacking the engine
up and cussing A LOT.
Do yourself a favor and take the engine out, you can rent an engine hoist if
don't have one yourself.
Good luck
Thomas Moll

You might find the one I bought for my engine rebuild project.. if you have a Kragen's in your area, they have a "house brand" of "Team Mechanix" jacks, tools, etc One day I found their 2T engine hoist on sale for $150, and it is very nice. Smaller than the Harbor Freight ones though probably with the same reach, it has a feature in that the legs pull out and slip vertically into pockets on the main frame for storage. Haven't seen that anywhere else. The resulting package only has a 2'x3' footprint, if not smaller than that. Much smaller than the fold up legs HF model.

I went back and forth, thinking about renting one, to save the money and space, as opposed to buying one.. very glad I did now. Made life much easier in that you use it more often than just pulling and replacing the engine, like getting things on and off the engine stand, (now there, HF's 1000lb one is the bargain) holding the engine for things like flywheel and clutch and tranny replacement where you can't have it on the stand, and it's so much nicer not sitting on the ground doing it... all that stuff.
I was juggling two engines, rebuilt a different one than came out.. so it became my second engine stand. It held the other motor without complaint or sagging for maybe a month or so.. better than I expected for fine, low budget equipment.

Bottom line, buy one, you'll be glad you made the investment.. and if you can find this one, you got a decent piece of kit, as the Brit's say...

Jon
77 Spider
Irvine, CA