RE: [alfa] GTV-6 voltage drop

Joe -

Could be a couple of things ...

Could be the alternator, regulator, diodes, or a wiring problem.

I had a similar problem with a Milano not all that long ago. Alternator
output was adequate without any loads on, but loaded up it was lower than it
should be. Put a rebuilt alternator in it, which helped but it still wasn't
right. Tried another alternator (hey, I keep one on the shelf), no
difference.

To make a long story short, there was too much resistance in the red wire
running from the back of the alternator to the junction block on the inner
fender. Replaced this length of wire with some decent quality 10 gauge and
the problem went away.

A simple check for alternator diodes, is to connect your multimeter across
the battery (or to any other convenient place), set the meter to measure A/C
on a low range (0-1 volt). You should read .5v or less, anything more
indicates bad diodes.

Here is a useful link for diagnosing automotive electrical systems with a
DMM

<http://www.fluke.com/application_notes/automotive/beatbook.asp?AGID=1&SID=1
03>

Click on charging systems ...

There is also a way to test the alternator on the car by getting it to go to
full output by bypassing the voltage regulator, but unless you know what you
are doing and are very careful with this procedure, you can do some serious
damage.

Jeff