[alfa] idle adjustment

Hey folks.  I have completed what started as a head gasket replacement,
which progressed into head rebuild, SPICA rebuild (thank you Mr.
Ingram), etc., etc.  I was very nervous cranking it for the first time
in almost a year, but it fired right up!  Really cool!

I've put on about 250 miles, but am concerned about my idle.  It is
idling around 1000-1200 once warmed up. It runs rich.  Slight backfiring
(puffs).  I am no expert on ignition timing, but have heard that if the
timing is off slightly, it would effect the idle and also cause the car
to run rich. I have the procedure for adjusting the idle, but I wanted
to run these symptoms buy the Collective to see if anyone has had
similar experiences or advise.

Thanks for the help, and thanks to Richard for the effort of the digest.
It has been an invaluable resource. T.C.I.I.T.M.

Andy Menapace
Brandon, MS
79 Spider