RE: [alfa] GTV Electric Fan Conversion Redux

> Several digesters replied to my query about how much room
> there is between the radiator and front of the water pump to
> mount an electric fan. The replies were unanimous that I put
> a pusher fan in front of the radiator. I failed to mention
> that I have A/C on my car and there already is a pusher fan
> in front of the radiator. I would still like to know if its
> possible to mount a puller fan and how thin it would have to be.
>
> The pusher fan I have is a 10". The car runs a notch or two
> higher on the temp guage at freeway speeds when the A/C is
> on. This suggests to me that its not up to handling cooling
> the car and running the A/C in stop and go traffic. Anyone
> have experience here? Think I can get by with just one pusher
> fan? How big do you think it would have to be?

I don't think your problem would be at highway speeds, your worst case
should be on a hot day with the AC on, sitting in traffic (the mechanical
fan is not doing much work in these conditions, and the only air flowing
over the radiator is coming from your pusher fan).

Why not try it?  Wire in a simple bypass so your pusher fan is always on,
take off the mechanical fan, and give it a try?  If the temperature stays
within a reasonable range under all conditions, then you can rewire your
pusher fan so that it's controlled by a thermo switch in the radiator, not
by the AC.  If the temperature gets a little warm, then you can make a
judgement call as to whether a 12" or 14" fan might work for you.  And if it
doesn't work at all, you can remove the bypass and bolt your mechanical fan
back on, without having broken anything..

HTH,

bs