[alfa] Alfa club future

Speaking as a self-appointed spokesperson for the Studebaker Driver's Club:

We have 11000 members who own in excess of 30000 Studebakers (in various conditions). Our cars stopped being manufactured in 1966. Most of our members, demographically speaking, are enjoying their Golden Years. Being a mere 40 years of age I'm often the only one at some of our events who doesn't get an AARP discount on my meal.

Let me tell you how I see it:

It is very important to pass-on the interest and enthusiasm for your favorite marque or be faced with a rapidly declining base of members, cars on the road, parts sources, and knowledge of repair and restoration.

There are many younger Stude owners who like Chevy engine transplants, modified suspensions, etc. Do the old folks grumble? Sure they do! Is it good for the club? Sure it is! Otherwise they'll all be museum pieces when the oldsters pass on and the club will cease to exist.

It should be a priority to attract younger members, even if their tastes differ from yours. It works, too. There's a local Model A club here in Silicon Valley that is very active. Their average member is younger than the Stude club. How many of them are original owners? The torch was successfully passed and I challenge you to do the same.

In the ability to adapt to the future, I'd rather be a cockroach than a dinosaur.

<soapbox off>

Karl in Silicon Valley
'63 Studebaker Daytona Convertible
'95 Alfa 164LS