[alfa] Youth

Regarding the younger members. I really enjoy the enthusiasm of younger members.
I also enjoy the experience and perspective of the older members. In Chicago, we have
a reasonably active club, but we provide a variety of events. With a wide variety of interests,
our members won't show up at every event and they shouldn't have to do so. We have tours,
track events, car shows, tech sessions, etc. You first have to understand that this club is
more like an MG or Triumph club than a Porsche or Miata club. Those cars are still being
sold in the U.S.. There hasn't been a new Alfa sold in the U.S. for 8 years. As the cars age,
they become rarer due to the vargaries of rust, accidents, cost of upkeep, etc. Younger drivers
have more accidents. We were young once too. I know how I drove when I was 25. I know
how I drive now. We, old farts, destroyed cars when we were young. We expect that today's
young drivers will do the same. With a limited number of Alfa's available, we lament the loss
of each one. As the older cars become more valuable, many people are less and less likely
to put them at risk - either on the road or at a track event. We see fewer and fewer Alfa's at
our track events each year. Would you jeopardize a million dollar Ferrari? An Alfa is nowhere
near a million dollars, but for some of us, it is still a big investment in time and money. Many
Alfa owners are over 40 and the demographics of our club suggest that many are over 50.
As much as we can appreciate the exuberance of youth, we also understand the problems
that can occur. Sometimes that is very difficult for a young person to understand. It was and
still is occasionally for me. Yes, it is an "age thing". We can't help that. Hopefully, both young
and old members will try to understand. All organizations have similar problems, not just car
clubs and particularly not just Alfa clubs. We all share an enthusiasm for the cars. Some of
us appreciate the aesthetics, some the performance, some the feel, etc. Our club TRIES to
have something for all of our members to enjoy. That means that we don't do enough track
events for some of our members and we don't do enough tech sessions for other members.
We can't afford to do everything! Every event takes a "pusher" - someone who wants to make
the event happen. In a volunteer organization, you have to identify people who will do an event,
and then not burn them out by asking them to organize multiple events. Members have children,
jobs, lives that also demand their time. When you are young, you may not have the demands on
your time and energy that seem to come with age. Sadly for us old folks, we don't have the energy
we once did and it has become harder for us to handle as many things as we once did. If you are
young, please retain your enthusiasm and drive. Allow us old folks the benefit of the doubt. We
may actually be right on occasion. If you are an "old fart" as I am, let go a little and specifically
ask a younger member to be on the board of the club, head a committee, or help with an event.
If it is a simple event, let them run it entirely. If it is a complicated event, let them head a committee
to handle the event. You can have them populate the event with experienced event people who
can help them make it happen. The young leadership will bring in some new ideas - not all of them
good, but most interesting. The experienced members can provide the continuity to bring the young
member up to speed. They think they have thought of everything and the old guys have never thought
any of anything. Both of you will be surprised to find that there are clever people in every age.
Enough philosophy. I have done my best to corrupt another generation of car nuts through my
children. Let's continue the process.
Don
69 GTV