[alfa] Re: alfa-digest V9 #1175

> Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 17:29:47 +0000
> From: webb.p@domain.elided
> Subject: Re: [alfa] Re: alfa-digest V9 #1174
>
> The O2 sensor should be as close to the exhaust port as possible.   The
> 'correct' (should be indicated) AFR is constant throughout the exhaust prior
> to the CAT.  What's usually at issue is the EGT.  Non-heated sensors need to
> be much closer to the port to maintain heat to report correctly.   If you're
> running lean and your EGT goes above 1500degF, you could damage the sensor.

This is 1/2 the story...  Temperature is a major issue to get the sensor working
properly, but just as important is the ability to see all the cylinders to get
a proper chemical signal to the catalyst.

My suggestion would be to find a generic 3 wire sensor and run it at 12V all the
time.  Or perhaps have a WOT switch to turn it off at wide open throttle- don't
exactly need it then.

> If you felt extremely frisky, you could go WB02.   The WB02 controllers from
> Tech Edge run about $100-200 and the LSU 6066 Bosch sensor is about $50
> nowadays from Volkswagen.   The WB02 sensor puts out 0-5v true AFR.  The
> controller outputs 0-1v to input to your ECU.  WB02 records true, realtime
> AFR not a slow reacting guestimate the NB02 does.   The controllers usually
> have either lights or displays to indicate AFR which makes tuning your
> modifications much much easier.

That is an expensive solution to a simple problem, my friend.

> Disconnecting the O2 sensor forces the ECU into open-loop mode with no
> feedback.   NB02 sensors are usually VERY slow and mostly inaccurate.   The
> usual failure mode of a bad NB02 sensor is slow response to the feedback loop
> in the ECU, making the car run badly.

Peter, peter, peter... do we have to go over this again???  NB O2 sensors are
generaly FASTER than WB ones, more importantly, the switch point for a NB
sensor is far more consistent than a WB one.  That, I do know from real
experience- seeing it right now for control purposes, and NOT for some
aftermarket gizmo.  For the current breed of sensors, they are fast enough to
see a voltage shift if one cylinder is lean of stoich while the reast are rich.
 It's a real annoying problem to have to fix, but it happens.

Find a good 3 wire sensor, add the O2 boss after all the cylinders run together,
which should be just before the catalyst.  You will be all set.

Eric Storhok
Ann Arbor, MI