[alfa] 164 Q transmission in 164 S?

In conjunction with my Lancia limited slip project I need to take the transaxle out of my 164 S. Coincidentally, the gearbox synchros seem to have gotten tired. I was considering either a rebuild or a 164 Q transaxle. The Q and the LS have the upgraded manual gearbox with synchronized reverse (identifiable by its reverse lock ring on the lever), but only the Q has the correct final drive. I have never driven a Q or an LS, but have been told that overall, the newer gearboxes are better. Is that statement just biased by their being newer and therefore less likely to show age, or are they really inherently that much better? To which extent can I just swap in a Q transaxle? Will the different shift linkage present problems? Is it likely to be cheaper to have my S gerabox rebuilt?

Sonny
164 S, Baltimore