RE: [alfa] re: the AD information pact

<I'm paying him for the actual labor time and
materials on the car, not for his time spent thinking about the problem.
In fact, if he can get an answer faster by emailing a digest, I support that

method 200%, especially if it generates discussion that might help him
make a better decision.>

Exactly. I get paid for the time I spend working on the car. All the time I
spend sourcing hard to find parts, or researching a difficult or odd problem
comes under the cost of doing business. I don't feel it is fair to the
customer to attempt to repair their car by trial and error while billing for
the time spent poking around in a blind attempt to repair something.

So the more information I can find through various forums and email lists on
the net is invaluable. I've seen praise from people on other lists when a
shop asks about a problem before jumping in.

At the same time, I'm willing to share some of my knowledge in an effort to
help others, and save them time and aggravation when and if I can.

What's even more important then asking questions, is posting the solution to
the problem after it is solved. Often times this doesn't happen, so we all
speculate as to the cause make a bunch of suggestions but never know what
the outcome was. This helps immensely when reading a thread in the archives
when researching a problem.

Jeff