From: owner-alfa@domain.elided [mailto:owner-alfa@domain.elided] On Behalf Of
skippatnode
Sent: Tuesday, March 09, 2004 5:13 PM
To: alfa digest
Subject: [alfa] Re: cracked front pulley: 1986 spider

Has anyone else seen this problem?  I ran into it on a Quad some months ago
and figured it was a fluke.  There were 2 'V' shaped pieces broken out of
the
back of the pulley at the keyway amounting to half of the back part of the
pulley being broken away.  It did no other damage to the engine but it did
raise havoc with the seal and caused quite a leak!
I couldn't locate another pulley at the time so I made a "temporary" fix by
using an old SPICA pulley, no A/C groove so left the belt off and held it
the
pulley on by turning the nut around and installing it backward.  The
"temporary" has now turned into several months and the owner still has not
procured a new pulley.  But, it's still working!
Skip Patnode
67 Duetto
Norfolk, Va