[alfa] Bench Marketing

Esteemed Digesti,

Since many of us are contributing to what is an interesting but unfortunately
useless discussion (as the "players" probably will not consult with the AD), I
thought I would "chime in".
WRT expensive marketing being needed, I think it can be done on a budget.
Look at the new MINI.  No TV ads, an inexpensive car, a small dealer network
(<100), an unimpressive history compared to Alfa's, and yet, you can't buy one
on the left coast anywhere near MSRP.  Through a magnificent print, billboard,
and web campaign they have created a "buzz" that Alfa could only hope to
emulate.
BTW, the build quality is definitely NOT Japanese nor German.  My 2003 Cooper
S has some squeaks and rattles, a glove box that comes open over bumps, and
useless cupholders (my nod to the latte sucking SUV crowd).  Yet, I get more
attention than I ever did in 25 years of driving vintage Alfas.

Dave De Rosier
San Diego (but I went to Salt Lake City to get my MINI at MSRP)
2003 MINI Cooper S