[alfa] Re: PRB (People's Republic of Berkeley)

>How does owning more cars = more usage/damage of roadway (the
>theoretical justification for the tax)?   I can't see how it does.
>Which is whole point of taxes at the pump, as fuel usage is pretty
>closely coupled to miles driven.

If I remember the piece on the local new about this last week, the reason
is to get the parked cars off of the residential streets. The city doesn't
like
all the cars in the streets and in the driveways and on the lawns.

This doesn't give allowances for someone who has a large garage and
multiple cars. In Japan, I've learned, you cannot buy a car unless you
have a garage space for it. This law seems to be trying to achieve this
but if you have a two car garage, you should be able to have two cars.

Oh well, I'm in Oakland, no worries.

Stefano.