[alfa] Buzz in 1750 at ~ 2300 rpm

The 1750 in my Giulia Super has developed a buzz/vibration right about
2200-2300 rpm.  It goes away above or below that rpm.  It seems to be internal
to the engine, not in the externals, sheetmetal, or the like.  Is that the rpm
that loose timing chains resonate at?  I checked the top chain recently and it
seemed tight.  By the "pry with big screwdriver" method I couldn't get it any
tighter than it was.  Everything in the valve train looked OK on a quick
glance.  Ideas on what this might be?

I live in Berkeley, CA, and have too many cars, so am interested in the
proposed "extra car" tax here.  My wife works in city government, and says
these kinds of local legislative proposals come up pretty regularly, but are
very hard to get through without enabling legislation at the state level.
However, there is a bill in the Calif legislature now proposing to let the
City and County of San Francisco, rather than individual car owners, get the
VLF offset refund enacted in 2003, and an enabling statute for Berkeley's
proposal might get coattailed on that.  Let's hope not.

The Berkeley proposal is driven by budgetary concerns; like many cities in
Calif, Berkeley has a big $$ shortfall and is looking for revenue wherever it
can.  They are paying some lip service to getting junker cars off people's
front lawns, and rat-infested moldy cars out of the driveways and backyards,
as an aesthetic and health concern.  So if they focus only on unregistered and
dilapidated cars, those purposes will be served.  However, if they institute
it as a tax on more than one car per driver per household, or too many cars
parked on the street, or some other method, regardless of condition of car,
that purpose will not be served.

While I have more cars than I can drive at any one time, they are all running,
registered, and insured.  As was mentioned earlier, if anything, I think I'm
performing an ecological function, by keeping the cars in good order, and most
of them not driven most of the time.  Plus parked off the street.  We'll see
what happens.  If you live in Berkeley, write your city councilmember,
especially Kriss Worthington.

Andrew Watry
Berkeley, CA