RE: [alfa] Buzz in 1750 at ~ 2300 rpm

Andrew Watry wrote:
"The 1750 in my Giulia Super has developed a buzz/vibration right about
2200-2300 rpm.  It goes away above or below that rpm.  It seems to be
internal
to the engine, not in the externals, sheetmetal, or the like.  Is that the
rpm
that loose timing chains resonate at?  I checked the top chain recently and
it
seemed tight.  By the "pry with big screwdriver" method I couldn't get it any
tighter than it was.  Everything in the valve train looked OK on a quick
glance.  Ideas on what this might be?"

Sounds like a loose upper timing chain to me.  Retensioning it should solve
the problem.  If it solves it briefly, them the vibration returns, it's
probably time to replace the timing chain.

Other things to check are that the tensioner bolt still has its little nipple
on the end, and that the tensioner wedge is still in place at the bottom of
the tensioner bolt hole.  If the wedge is in place, you'll see a flat piece
of metal covering the base of the hole, itself with a small hole for the
nipple.  If it's not there, then you'll simply be able to see the tensioner
spring.

Regards,
Anthony White
Wellington, NZ