[alfa] Alfa Head Gasket

In a message dated 2/18/2004 7:48:42 PM Central Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 18:26:52 +0000
From: webb.p@domain.elided
Subject: [alfa] Head Gasket

Alfisti,

Last week coolant started leaking into the combustion chamber on the Spider.
 This motor has about 500 miles on it since the head was redone.   Neither my
mechanic or I remember if the head was retorqued after the first warm up and
I know I haven't retorqued since.

I haven't even looked into the problem yet while emotions were getting the
best of me.  The working theory is the head has loosened and just needs
retorquing.  I'll find out tomorrow when I dig into it.

So the questions is, if it is just a case of loose head nuts, will the gasket
survive after a retorque?    It let go on Saturday night with plumes of white
smoke out the exhaust, the unmistakable smell of coolant and bubbles in the
radiator.  No overheating during any of this.   Started to puff on the way home
and got progressively worse as I drove until it started bellowing, as luck
would have it, pulling into my parking lot.

TIA for any experience with this.

- -Peter
------------------------

    My 84 Spider race car did exactly the same thing.  I heard a pop, and got
antifreeze on the windshield.  Steam was coming out the rear of the car.  I
shut it off expecting to find an exploded heater hose.  When we pushed it onto
the trailer about a quart of antifreeze ran out of the exhaust pipe.  That
told me the head gasket was gone.  Antifreeze in two of the cylinders further
confirmed that.
    I later drained the cooling system, pulled the spark plugs out and blew
the antifreeze out by spinning the engine on the starter.  I put a bunch of
Marvel Mystery Oil down each hole, turned the engine slowly, then blew the oil
out by spinning the engine on the starter again.  It smoked a lot when I got it
started.  It also missed really bad.  So I pulled the head.

    I did torque my head cold and again hot after the first warm up.  I do
not think I retorqued it again cold after the racing equivalent of 500 miles.
After checking everything, I have concluded that the liner projection is
reasonable and the head is flat.  Thus, I think I just failed to torque the head
again.  I do not think you can torque the head too often.  Be sure to back each
head nut off, apply oil and torque each in turn.
    You can try to retorque the head.  If it does the same thing, the gasket
is gone.  The metal on top of the gasket that surrounds the cylinders was
deformed into both the two front cylinders.  I suspect the pop was the metal
letting go and subsequent running of the car further deformed the metal rings.
    I bought a genuine Alfa Romeo head gasket which has a better ring
surrounding the cylinders.  It appears better quality than the aftermarket gasket I
used before.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City